All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please - no foul language or rude 'flaming'. Administrator will remove such posts. We are here to share comments, questions and information for the benefit of all involved and to do this in a courteous manner. No non-relevant commercial messages or links. Also the information contained in the various posts may or may not be accurate. Mech Tech systems Inc. or the forum software provider -phpBB- are not in any way liable for the accuracy of the information in the posts. The forum posting regulations have been tightened and all posts by new users will first go to an 'approval' list before they are posted to the board. Also no post containing URL's will be allowed until the poster has posted 2 legitimate posts. The reason is that we are experiencing rising levels of spam postings.

Post subject: Dedicated Lowers ?
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 11:41 
Site Admin

Hello all - Mech Tech has been receiving an increasing interest from customers who want to leave a 'lower' on their CCU full time - that is, not having to disassemble their pistols every time they want to use the CCU. The question is 'what is the most cost-effective route to assembling a dedicated lower?'
Sources for both 1911 and Glock lowers would be appreciated. If anyone has thoughts and ideas please post. It looks like 1911 frames are all over the place but limited sources for Glock frames.
To start things off I have found this link:
http://www.sarcoinc.com/5-10-09_Q.pdf
The company is Sarco and the Arsmcor frames come from the Philipines. Also it appears that Lone Wolf Distributors has a Glock frame.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3168
I have noticed frame 'kits' available - these kits generally include all the parts needed to complete the frame assembly but no actual frame. The frame itself of course requires an FFL for legal purchase but there are many licensed dealers out there happy to do the paperwork for a reasonable cost. Please let us know if you have suggestions.
Thanx,
MM

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Dedicated Lowers ?
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 12:21 

Here are the metal lowers that I have considered. Aluminum and stainless are among the options.

I decided against the metal frame after reading about possible stress transfer that the polymer frame absorbs but the metal frame transfers. If that can be proven incorrect id consider one.

http://www.brownells.com/1/3/glock-metal-frame

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/home.php

http://www.gunslot.com/guns/robar-s-xtr ... rame-glock

Report this post

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 14:01 
Site Admin

Hello Shootist - there is slight truth to the stress transfer thing you mention but it is insignificant from a practical standpoint. One can raise the tide in a lake by throwing in a brick but the effect is negligible. The CCU imposes a completely different set of physics to a frame than that which the same frame sees in the assembled pistol. When the parent pistol is fired the barrel and slide collide directly with the frame with quite a 'whack' - the recoil spring does not decelerate the slide to zero. The barrel is traveling quite fast when it impacts the frame metal to metal bringing it to rest with respect to the frame. When the same frame is in a CCU and the CCU is fired, nothing collides with the frame. The recoiling mass is decelerated by the recoil spring and finally 'cushioned' by the rubber buffer at the rear end of the CCU housing.
Hope this helps and your links are much appreciated!
MM

Report this post

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 13:54 

Hmmm, I have a slide that needs a frame and y'all just gave me the solution. Thanks for the links.

Report this post

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 19:22 

The other thing I noticed on the metal frames was that the slide rails extend almost the full length of the lower making attachment to the upper impossible unless you grind down the rails by hand to the correct size and location to accept the upper. Not something I would be comfortable doing to a lower at any price.

You're correct about the recoil reduction system on the Mech-Tech upper. You can plainly feel the rubber recoil damper adsorb the impact with each shot.

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 22:49 
Site Admin

Hi all - Shootist has a point but the situation is not quite as bad at least for the CCF Raceframes. I took a quick look at the CCF Race Frame user manual:
http://www.ccfraceframes.com/manual.pdf
The rear 'tabs' which engage the grooves in the slide look close enough to a Glock to work with the CCU but the front tabs extend to the rear farther than those on the Glock - but not all the way along the frame, just to above the take-down lever. I looked at the CCU housing and the front 'relief' openings which clear the front tabs could be easily modified to accept the CCF by careful removal of about 1/4" of the narrow 'lips' on the right and left sides. This would effectively open the relief opening to the rear sufficiently to do the job. Of course this is only for skilled, adventuresome and daring gun gurus. I am of course not 100% certain that there are not other factors which may exist because I have not actually seen or handled one of these frames in person and I am not willing to drop the $280 and change to find out. Maybe someone out there may have access to a CCF frame and a CCU and could judiciously size things up. If so, please let us know what you find. If someone is brave enough to try the mods to the CCU housing and successfully integrate the CCF frame, I think I could talk Mech Tech into a housing change. Such a change would not affect Glock frame fit.
Thanks,
MM

Report this post

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 18:35 

I purchased a dedicated lower from a seller on gunbroker.com I literally purchased just the lower. $160 for the Glock lower.

Report this post

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 19:21 

good find. not a bad price.

Report this post

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 10:36 

Looks like buying an Armscor: Rock Island Armory 1911 would be the low cost way to get a 1911 lower. I assume almost any 1911A1 lower would work.

Report this post

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 18:50 

http://www.glockmeister.com/Complete-Re ... ducts/105/

Report this post